Because I always forget how to use maven-ear-plugin

Sometimes you write a blog to express an idea, to ask some feedback from the community, to share a very nice trick… or because you always forget something and want to write it down so you can remember later on. That’s the reason of this post. I never remember how to use the maven-ear-plugin, so I’m writing it down. There is something funny with Maven and I. I spend hours trying to figure out to do something with Maven, and then, I automatically forget it. That’s the beauty of human’s brain : it doesn’t hold junk information for long.

Let’s say you have a project made of a Web module, an EJB module and external Lucene libraries. You then need to package this entire application into a ear file plus a few configuration files (login-config.xml and the application.xml deployment descriptor). With Maven each module is defined into a separate directory with its own pom.xml. So you will end up with the following structure :

• a root pom.xml
  • a web module with its own pom.xml
  • an EJB module with its own pom.xml
  • an ear module that will be used only to package the entire application
maven-ear

I will not define what’s in the pom.xml of the web and EJB module, but only the interesting part : the pom.xml of the ear module, that’s where you define the maven-ear-plugin :

• The first part of the pom.xml is quite normal, nothing special except the packaging that is set to ear (<packaging>ear<packaging>).
  • Then you have the dependencies. Here you define the web and EJB modules as well as the Lucene libraries. Note that it’s very important to specify <type>war</type> for the web module. If you don’t Maven will look for a jar file.
  • Then comes the definition and configuration of the maven-ear-plugin. Notice that I redefine the artifacts that depend on the application but I add the extra information of the module : <webModule>, <ejbModule> or <jarModule>. Also note that I’ve decided to package the Lucene libraries into a subdirectory called lucenelib.
<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>org.example.mvnearplg</groupId>
  <artifactId>ear</artifactId>
  <packaging>ear</packaging>
  <version>1.0</version>

<parent>
    <groupId>org.example</groupId>
    <artifactId>mvnearplg</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
  </parent>

<dependencies>
    <!-- web and ejb modules -->
    <dependency>

<build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-ear-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.3.2</version>
        <!-- configuring the ear plugin -->
        <configuration>
          <modules>
            <webModule>
              <groupId>org.example.mvnearplg</groupId>
              <artifactId>web</artifactId>
            </webModule>
            <ejbModule>
              <groupId>org.example.mvnearplg</groupId>
              <artifactId>ejb</artifactId>
            </ejbModule>
            <!--extra lucene libs into lucenelib directory -->
            <jarModule>
          </modules>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>

The ear plugin looks for its resources under the src/main/application directory. That’s where you typically put your META-INF directory with the application.xml file and some extra descriptors. So the result is that :

• The external Lucene libraries are under the lucenelib directory (that’s because I’ve specified the <bundleDir>, otherwise they would have been under the root directory)
  • The META-INF/application.xml and the /login-config.xml files are automatically packaged in the ear file (that’s because they were under the default resource directory src/main/application).
  • The ejb module (ejb-1.0.jar) and web module (web-1.0.war) are located under the root directory

maven-ear-done

Next time I’ll need the ear plugin I’ll remember to read my own post.

About these ads
Comments
25 Responses to “Because I always forget how to use maven-ear-plugin”
  1. Fabien says:

Thank you for your article.

I have a question about the application.xml file :
    what do we must put in this file ?
    I mean : does maven inform the modules declarations ? Or do we must declare modules ourselves

2. agoncal says:

If you have a Java EE 5 application, the application.xml is optional. Otherwise, the maven-ear-plugin has a goal to create an application.xml file (mvn ear:generate-application-xml )

3. numberformat says:

Great post! This was really helpful.

4. Kostas says:

what about the parent? is it a multi-module project? i am trying to figure how a multi-module relates to an ear project.

5. Kostas says:

i figured out ok. it’s the multi-module. i just hoped i didn’t had to have TWO empty projects (multi-module, EAR) to make it work.

6. Hi Antonio,

Your post should definitely go into the plugin’s usage page!

I’m not new to Maven, but having switched from EJB + JBoss to Spring and Tomcat long ago, I do no longer remember how to build ears :-) I’m now being forced to deploy a war to JBoss and thus trying to solve those dreaded class loader problems.

Looking at your single page post, within seconds I knew what the ear-plugin is all about – the Maven site does not even mention the fact that the maven-ear-plugin will use the dependencies from the pom.xml to gather the wars etc.

Thanks again, great work,
    Reiner

7. Ashitkin Alexander says:

Tx! Very useful post.

8. Shane lee says:

Very good article.
    I have a question tho. i have a parent pom called ebusiness, war module called eagent and an ear project. All my dependencies are at the root pom.xml level. When i add the war dependency to ear pom.xml using maven ear plugin i see at the root level creation of the ear all my jar files and eagent. war. I only want to see eagent.war as the jars are bundled inside.

So my questioin is how can i exclude the other dependencies from root ear level?

Ear pom.xml

eagent
    war
    1.4-SNAPSHOT

Regards,
    Shane.

• Hi Shane,
      try declaring the dependency to eagent as provided. I know it looks strange, but that’s what worked for me in a similar case.
      Regards,
      Reiner

9. Paul Brabban says:

Thanks for sharing – this post was really helpful to me learning about using Maven to build projects as EARs.

10. Nancy says:

Genial. Gracias.
    It helps me a lot.

11. Giuliano Barbarra says:

Very good post!!! Thanks!!
    I have a question… All dependencie inside ear.pom.xml (org.example.mvnearplg,org.example.mvnearplg) should be in my local repository for maven do build?
    thanks a lot!

12. Fred Bricon says:

Antonio,

you don’t need to define webModule and ejbModule in your ear plugin configuration. By convention, all ear dependencies will be deployed in the resulting .ear (wars and ejbs under the /, using the default artifact file name, jars under the default bundle dir (/ ,if you haven’t set it to lib/)
    I generally only configure the webModule’s contextRoot (ex. /web), since by default it’d be /web-X.Y.Z-(SNAPSHOT)

regards,

Fred (m2eclipse-wtp guy)

13. micke says:

Why not show the content in all pom.xml files?

14. Jayson says:

Thank you for posting this. Even after so long, it still answered many questions I had a bout doing this. Applying your ideas to a partially complete ear build, got it going.

j

15. Victor says:

Great article!

16. Ben says:

When you execute package under the ear project maven tries to look for the dependencies in the repository.Maven does not know where to find the ejb dependencies other than looking into the repository. Is this a bug? How do you actually build the ear?

My SO Question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9700735/maven-ear-plugin-could-not-resolve-dependencies-to-ejbmodule

17. sak says:

Hi antonio,
    When i added to my pom.xml for multimodule project, i go the following error in building the project.
    Prior to adding this, it was working fine. I wanted to add all my dependencies into APP-INF folder using .
    Please Help.

log4j
    log4j
    1.2.16
    APP-INF/lib
    false

18. sak says:

addign pom.xml again for reference

ReFormEAR

war

com.pg.giss
    ReForm-ejb
    ${project.parent.version}
    ejb

19. Madhukar says:

Thank you very much buddy was able to do it in minutes
    And do you have any thing specific to weblogic or websphere?

20. Thx for article – it helped me to build example for JBoss AS7 with Spring: https://github.com/hamsterready/jboss-as7-singleton-using-spring

21. Pankaj says:

Hi having a doubt regarding the assembly of ear . The ear-plugin hs been properly used in the project I two queries . The application.xml is not present in the src/main/application/META-INF/ . Just MANIFEST.MF is there .
    But once the I compile the project this file is created .
    second thing is that though the compilation got successful if I try to run mvn -e install it does not copies the ear to local repository and build failes with
    Failed to retrieve numeric file attributes using: ‘/bin/sh -c ls -1nlad

Please advise

22. beginer says:

Good post. Thank you.
    I have the same kind of modules and I was using ant. I’m new to maven and looking for maven ear plugin. My directory structure is:

|-EARModule
    |-EARContent
    |-WEB-INF
    |-WebModule
    |—-

|-Sheduler
    |—

so, ear module directory structure is different. I’m using java 1.6. I used downloaded jar files in lib directory(web module). I want to create ear file using maven. how do I write parent pom.xml and others. Can someone help me?

• beginer says:

under ear module, it is containing EARContent and inside EARContent directory WEB-INF there.